Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February 17th

  This past week has been super cold. On Tuesday we ended up walking almost everywhere we had to be. For some reason the buses did not want to cooperate with us that day. Seriously we missed every bus onTuesday, they all came really early. We just walked everywhere. We made a lot of stop bye's Stopped by less active members and potential investigators all day. 

   Wednesday was a good day, even though it was still super cold.  Wednesday morning we were able to meet with Noel. We talked to him about the word of wisdom. He has a little problem but nothing we can't fix. Once he's baptized, he's going to be a great member. We invited him to Jeannine's baptism this Sunday and he told us we would have to hold him back from jumping into the font. He's really excited to join the church; great guy. Wednesday afternoon we decided to start trying our luck at Temple University. Campus is right in our area and all the students I'm our ward keep telling us to go there. We went and walked around campus for a little while and ended up meeting a few members from other wards. We were able to talk with some other students and we were able to kind of figure out where we could have lessons with people and where most of the students usually are. I am excited to start proselyting on campus. The students in our ward are excited too. They all want to come with out contacting with us. Wednesday night we had a lesson with G before we had to be inside. G is a really smart kid. We got him the children's Book of Mormon, children's D&C and children's testaments. He's already read almost half of the children's Book of Mormon and about a fifth of the Old Testament. Giovanni, we're still working on him and Rebecca (his girlfriend, technically wife) getting married. Then Wednesday night we got hit with a blizzard. 

   Woke up Thursday morning to a lot of snow. It kept snowing through Thursday afternoon too. Then the snow turned into freezing rain. The roads were a mess. District meeting was canceled Thursday morning. We stayed in and did weekly planning till the afternoon. We tried to stay sheltered as much as possible Thursday. So right after we planned we knocked on the neighbors door, Hector, and
taught him about the Book of Mormon for a little bit. We had dinner after that but we could only stay in for an hour for dinner. Elder Pintor really wanted to do Facebook so we walked down to the subway from our place, because the buses were shut down all day, and took the subway to the church. Elder Pintor did Facebook for a little bit, I read scriptures. Everything was frozen with a super thick layer of ice by Thursday night. Walking back home we saw some cars frozen in pools of water. Snow was all around the cars, by the cars being in the middle of this snow pile it kind of created a bowl. When it rained, freezing rain, the bowl of snow filled with water then froze solid. There were some small cars frozen solid almost up to the door handles. A lot of the gutters and storm drains froze up too. 

   Friday morning when we woke up our street was iced over. There were bulldozers going
up and down the streets dozing snow out of the way. Luckily the buses kind of started back up again Friday morning. We were going to walk to the subway to get to the church Friday morning but as we were walking we had a bus catch up to us, that was lucky. The bus almost didn't make it up a small hill though because the roads were slick. We headed to the church and caught a ride to Broomall with Brother Stephenson for zone training. Zone training lasted most of the day but we got our iPads during zone training. Brother Stephenson was nice enough to drive us back from Broomall as well. On our way back we visited a less active member at Temple Hospital who is stopping smoking and trying her best to get to the temple. She's awesome. Funny woman. Right after that we went to go teach Dillon and his family. We finally got his aunt (I think, their family tree is really weird) to join us in the lesson. Her name is Tiffany, she's less active. A while ago, right after Shamo left, I finally got her to stay reading the Book of Mormon and now she's sitting in on lessons with Dillon. We also got most of the family to join in on a family prayer before we left too. That was a miracle. 

   Saturday morning we played football. Despite the three feet of snow on the field we still played and some of the kids that play with us still came out too. Saturday we also helped some of the members clear out the snow in front of the church parking lot entrance. When they plowed the streets they plowed all the snow into a huge pile in front if the parking lot. It took at least two hours to clear that out. Saturday night I think some guys tried to mug us. It was kind of hard to tell. He was drunk and he was yelling at us asking for change but then he told us to worship with him. He wouldn't stop yelling. I can't even describe the experience. 

   Yesterday was stake conference out here, Elder Neilson was there from the seventy. He gave a great talk. Right after stake conference we had back to back to back to back appointments. It was overwhelming. Right after conference we were finally able to meet with this woman named Mae (May) and her friend Henry. They're awesome, they have a strong desire  to change and learn about God and Jesus Christ. They're not very learned in religion but they love have us over to teach them. I am excited to keep meeting with them. After that we were supposed or have dinner with a member but it didn't work out because the invite was too late of notice and we didn't have time. Bishop came with us to meet with a less active/in reality active member named Grace. She's a loud Puerto Rican woman. She lives in our ward boundaries but goes to church every week in New Jersey. When we first stopped by her last week, we stopped by just to say hi and introduce ourselves but we couldn't come in because there wasn't another guy with us. She got so mad we couldn't come in. She requested we bring bishop with us this week. When we met with her yesterday she took us over to her neighbors house, Marie. Marie is going to be 99 years old in August. She's still up and active, looks like she's 60. We talked to he for a bit about church then went back to Grace's house to talk to her with bishop about her family and church and all that. Grace told us she wants us to meet all her neighbors. She told us she's going to start taking us around her neighborhood every time we come visit. After we met with her we had our usual weekly dinner appointment with Mike and Dana. Mike made us "Mikes burgers". A dangerous combination of ground beef and "secret ingredients" topped with "special cheese". They were super good. This week it's supposed to start warming up. I can't wait for the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment